Thursday, December 23, 2010

Is it really almost Christmas?

Whoa, what a few weeks its been. Work has been nuts, I took finals, doctor appointments, and have just been generally crazy! So you get a week's worth of re-cap in one quicky, drive-by post.

We went ice skating with Girl Scouts at a local rink. Piper hugged the wall the entire time, but she was definitely getting better by the end of the visit.


I can ice skate and was supposed to help Pi on the ice, but.... I managed to fall down the stairs and sprain my ankle even before we got there! I didn't want her to miss the skating, so I threw a brace on (left over from my 2007 tumble down the stairs). I'm all better now... no worries!


We bought our tree about two weeks ago. I love getting a real tree. It's a PITA, but it smells so good and looks so pretty, that it's so worth it in the end. To tell you the truth, we love decorating the tree so much not to mention it fell over, we did it twice! I'd like to take a moment to grieve my poor Mets ornament that lost it's life this year when my mets hating hubby broke it the tree fell.

But I digress... it's pretty, isn't it?

I also had grand plans of making EVERYONE handmade gifts this year. I made lists, cut fabric, picked out yarn... and yeah, nothing! Amazon and I spent some quality time together instead.

Other than the hats from a few posts ago, I only managed to finish one gift. It's a biggie though, so I'm still pretty proud.

It's a disappearing 9 patch pattern made with leftover fabric from my Oh, Fransson! Advent Calendar and some scraps a friend sent to me. I didn't have to buy one little bit of new fabric for this quilt, which makes it that much more awesome.

The back is lined with red solid fabric left over from the Principal's quilt. My non-dirty Grandma is getting this one. I hope she loves it as much as I do!


So, did you guys make a lot of gifts this year? Or was it Amazon to the rescue?

5 comments:

Deni J. said...

The quilt is beautiful!

Kristina P. said...

I bought a lot of Etsy gifts, actually.

Hope your ankle heals up!

Merry Christmas!

Laura said...

Wow, gorgeous quilt!

I have a sewing machine in layaway at Sears, and I'm hoping to get it out on my birthday (Sunday). Of course then, I'll probably be too nervous to actually sit down and try to use it, ha, ha! I made a total of one gift this year - a knitted hat for my sister, and I'm not too happy with how it came out.

Pretty tree, too! I've never had a real Christmas tree as an adult (always artificial ones). I figured having an artificial one would be cheaper, but considering that my husband and I are on about our 3rd one in the 15 years we've been living together, maybe not.

Sorry to hear about your ankle! I would love to learn how to ice skate, if I could just get over my fear of falling on the ice.

Snap said...

Wonderful quilt! I made a few gifts and bought a few. Always think I'll *do better* next year! :D :D :D I did have enough crochet gingerbread men and houses (potholders) that came to rescue as hostess gifts.

Kaye said...

Love your quilt! Hope the ornament situation isn't prophetic of the next baseball season..hee hee!

It was half homemade and half Amazon. Of course I'm STILL waiting for that box of presents I had delivered to the old address. I don't think I'll ever see it again. :-(